Ex-U.S. Diplomat Paid Ransom in Trinidad

A BC News has reported Ex-U.S. Diplomat Paid Ransom in Trinidad
Ex-U.S. Diplomat Says He Paid $1,000 Ransom for Release of His Kidnapped Son in Trinidad
PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad Dec 23, 2005 — A former U.S. diplomat said Friday that he paid a ransom of $1,000 for the release of his teenage son from kidnappers.


The 18-year-old was seized Dec. 17 near the family’s home in an upscale suburb of the capital, Port-of-Spain, said Randy Depoo, a former political officer at the U.S. Embassy in Trinidad.
The kidnappers originally sought nearly $32,000 in ransom but released the youth within hours of the abduction for the lower amount, Depoo told The Associated Press.
“My son is doing well, considering that he was a victim of kidnapping,” Depoo said. “It’s too early to say if the incident will have any kind of psychological effect on him.”
Depoo, who is from Virginia, runs a law firm in Trinidad.
A spokesman for the U.S. Embassy declined to comment on the kidnapping among the latest in a wave of abductions in the two-island Caribbean nation of Trinidad and Tobago.
Authorities in the nation of some 1 million people have reported more than 60 kidnappings for ransom this year about double last year’s total.

Comments are closed.